What is APQP?
What is Advanced Product Quality Planning?
APQP stands for Advanced Product Quality Planning. It is a disciplined process for suppliers to ensure they are capable of designing product and/or manufacturing systems that will meet their automotive customers’ requirements. It outlines a process for introduction of a new product while minimizing risk for you and your customer.
Learn More about APQP with this Tutorial:
APQP stands for Advanced Product Quality Planning
It is how a new or revision to an existing product is designed, developed, manufactured and controlled.
- A process, not an event
- Structured methodology
- Assures customer satisfaction
The output of APQP is
The Continual Improvement of Product Realization.
APQP is one of five Core Tools
Existing Products – After product launch, process monitoring and review is used
- as a catalyst for continual improvement
- to prevent defects
- as a means for enforcing plant-floor discipline for controlling characteristic variation
New Products – For new products, the existing process monitoring and review knowledge base
- acts as an input to the Product Development process
- brings the operator into the initial phases of product and process design
Transfer Products – Moving product manufacturing from one site to another
- Resources are directed toward customer satisfaction
- Early identification of required changes
- Changes close to or after product launch are avoided
- Process can successfully accommodate unavoidable changes
- A quality product is provided on time at the lowest cost
- Basis for continual improvement
APQP includes Manufacturing Process Design & Review and cannot be excluded from the Quality Management System
- results of audits
- customer feedback
- process performance and product conformity
APQP Status – Measurements at specific stages
- status of preventive and corrective actions
- follow-up actions from previous management reviews
- planned changes that could affect the Quality Management System
- recommendations for improvement
- Analysis of actual and potential field-failures and their impact on quality, safety or the environment
Buy a copy of AIAG Standards:
- APQP-2 – (2008) – Advanced Product Quality Planning and Control Plan
- IAQG Core Tools Forms on CD – 2008
Supplier Forms for APQP, PPAP, FMEA, etc., Version 5.0